Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 72

Here I sit pondering my time with Kelsey for this past week and a half. To say the least it has been good, hard, even funny at times. There is not much of a routine because you never know what is going to happen next.

My time is pretty much spent in monitoring her temp and giving Kelsey as much water as she desires. I try to be Kelsey's advocate especially when she gets a nurse or sitter who has not cared for her. When she is sleeping I pray almost constantly. Sometimes, our interactions remind me of when I babysat for her many, many years ago. The second night I was here I was so concerned about her temp that any time she moved her blanket off I would tuck her back in. She told me to stop fidgeting, and I said I would if she would keep her blanket on. That is how we rolled sometimes back in the days of homeschooling. :) Hopefully I am not a thorn in her side but rather a help and comfort to her. Sometimes I annoy her and other times I amuse her. Since I am on the night shift I try not to talk to her and try to give as peaceful of an environment as the nurses allow. Whenever I can give her comfort like rubbing her tummy or resting my cold hands on her head I do. She says it helps but makes her feel bad when I have to sit by her to give her these small comforts. I always answer her by saying I flew all the way here just so I could do this very thing for her. Then she gives me her sweet smile which makes my heart more glad then you can know.

The other night I witnessed Kelsey's low temp state. She was out of it but at one point I asked her if she knew the song Jesus Loves Me and if she wanted to sing it with me. She did. She sang it word for word and what a lovely voice she has. In all my years of knowing her I didn't know how well she could sing. Well, she went to sleep after a bit and her temp came up to a better range. The Lord is faithful and brought her through this time.

On a lighter note, we have had a few laughs. Tammy said I should share this next story so if Kelsey ever reads this and gets mad at me I can refer her to her mother. That's my disclaimer. :) So she got up to go to the ca-mode and did her thing. She then had some gas and said she wasn't expecting that. She said, “Well there you have it folks, the grand finale!” Her humor is wonderful, and it was so was funny at the time, but I am no kind of writer to spell it out for you in a better way.

The Lord can use us all in many ways and I am so honored and blessed that he would use me for this time. Hopefully Tammy was able to have more peaceful rest so that she will not be weary for the road ahead. My night time vigils are coming to an end and the scripture that comes to me for this time, for Tammy, for Kelsey is this:

Matthew 11:28-30

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

God is good beyond measure! I hope you all have a blessed day.

Joanna


1 comment:

  1. Joanna and family, thanks for your obedience to the Lord's leading. I know it was a blessing to Tammy and to us all, knowing Kelsey and Tammy were so well cared for. Surely God is Good meeting every need.
    Praying for each of you,
    Carmel

    ReplyDelete